I LOVE the Whole Foods Market recipe page! I get tons of ideas for healthy (and often times very simple) recipes we can make at home with ingredients we buy at Whole Foods (or really anywhere I suppose). I love to cross reference this page with current sales. This month I want to feature the amazing Parmigiano-Reggiano you can purchase at Whole Foods Market. People say cheese is very pricey at Whole Foods and this is not exactly untrue – it is some of the best in the world and it is priced higher. I love Parmigiano-Reggiano because you do not need to use very much cheese to really curb a cheese craving. I bought a small piece for only about $3. I used less than 1/4 of it in our salad for five people and we have more for our dinners throughout the week!
Today I want to share a healthy recipe that our whole family loves! Simple Kale and Parmigiano-Reggiano Salad with homemade dressing and pumpkin seeds!
My recipe is adapted from the Whole Foods Kale Caesar Salad with Parmigiano
Our kids at one point fell in love with a conventional salad dressing you can get at any old store, let’s call it “Cheese Fantastic” – well, I am not a fan of this dressing because it has a boatload of sugar and preservatives – but I won’t lie, I buy it for them from time to time. They said this salad dressing tastes “Like Cheese Fantastic but like if it was healthy and fresh.” <— that’s a compliment friends.
- Olive Oil
- Dijon Mustard
- Pumpkin Seeds
1) Wash & dry kale. Strip the leaves off and discard the middle stalk (I actually freeze the stalks and pop them into green smoothies – if your blender is strong enough this is a great way to still get that great nutrition, stretch your food purchase just a little further, and keep something out of a landfill). Cut or tear into bit size pieces and put into a bowl to set aside.
2) Grate about 1/2 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano and set aside.
3) Mix together the juice of one lemon, about 1/2 a cup of olive oil, two crushed garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, salt & pepper to taste.
3) Wisk in about half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano into the dressing. That’s it! You now have the most delicious homemade dressing for a drastic price difference than buying a jar of premade dressing!
4) Mix the kale and salad dressing together.
5) Top with additional Parmigiano-Reggiano and pumpkin seeds.
I eat this as a quick lunch, we serve as our side salad with dinner, and we have even grilled chicken and tossed in quinoa for a complete meal!
Click here to subscribe to our email newsletter
Thank you for your interest in our newsletter. We have a couple of options for you. We send out 1 email maximum when there is a new post. You can subscribe to our main newsletter that includes all of our articles.Subscribe to Highlights Along the Way » Email Newsletter
If you are only interested in getting a newsletter about a specific category of our site, you can select that newsletter from the list below.Subscribe to » Family posts
Subscribe to » Travel posts
Subscribe to » DIY posts
Subscribe to » Food posts
Subscribe to » Disney posts
Subscribe to » Thrifty Stuff posts
Subscribe to » Entertainment posts