DIY Pumpkin Iced Latte. So I am sure many of you have seen that ‘what’s in a pumpkin spiced latte’ image floating around the internet. I am not quite as addicted to Pumpkin Lattes as I used to be, but I don’t think there has ever been a season where I avoided them completely. Pumpkin Lattes are so perfect for Fall! In SoCal it is still hot so when Pumpkin Latte season rolls around I tend to cave for an iced version. My kids have been known to enjoy an iced ‘Vanilla Milk’ with shots of pumpkin syrup (don’t judge me, please; I know I deserve it but I am asking for mercy here). No more of that you guys, we are gonna make some DIY pumpkin iced lattes – both with coffee for us and just a pumpkiny vanilla frappe thingy for the kids.
But this year is different friends! No store bought fakey fake pumpkin lattes or pumpkiny kid drinks for us! No sir! We have pumpkins growing out of our back yard; real ones. I have milk in the fridge, sugar and vanilla in the cupboard – let’s do this! You guys are gonna love this – a DIY Pumpkin Iced Latte!
My kids and husband have had to take on the difficult task of ‘taste tester’ the last couple weeks. It’s a tough life for these guys.
So we have lots of pumpkin puree from our own pumpkins we grew in our backyard – we found that pumpkin butter is SO yummy in this recipe, but pure pumpkin is great too! If you have canned pumpkin pie mix it will also work and you can use less sugar (pumpkin pie mix already has sugar added). Pumpkin we found is very strong – you do not need much of it to completely overpower the drink!
I don’t like to use a ton of sugar; but it is impossible to avoid if you want this to taste delicious. I finally had to get over it and remind myself that this at home version would still have quite a bit less sugar than it’s ‘at the coffee shop’ counterparts. Hot tip – we decided to add in a banana which might be a little weird, but it was creamy and sweet and added a little more fiber and the version that used banana used less sugar – so totally worth considering!
As you may have noticed I don’t tend to measure exactly – everything is a guide. These are the ingredients I used and an approximation of our favorite version.
DIY Pumpkin Iced Latte
* 4 cups Organic Milk (we used regular old whole cow milk – use non fat, almond, coconut, whatever works for you)
* dash of vanilla *about 1 – 2 tsp* (the real stuff – not that fake cheap stuff – you only need a little so it’s worth it to buy the real stuff)
* 1/4 cup pumpkin puree or pumpkin butter
* a couple of dashes of cinnamon
* one frozen banana (optional)
* 2 spoonfuls *ish* of sugar (we used organic raw sugar, but any will do – bonus healthy points for coconut sugar – we were just out!) If you use plain pumpkin puree and you aren’t going to use a banana you are probably going to want a little more sugar.
* Add cold coffee (or coffee frozen in ice cube trays) for the caffeinated version.
* Whipped Cream and Cinnamon to top off.
1) Put all ingredients except ice and whipped cream in the blender of your choosing. I cannot speak for all blenders, but our Vitamix can handle a frozen banana. If your blender can’t handle a frozen banana don’t push it. 😉
2) blend it up!
3) Pour over ice
4) Top with Whipped Cream, a dash of cinnamon, and a festive straw
5) Enjoy your DIY Pumpkin Iced Latte!
* You can also add the ice into the blender as well for a frappe treat! This is our favorite way to enjoy this recipe!*
If you are looking to DIY a little healthier version of all the fun pumpkin lattes and holiday drinks this is a great one to try! Check out all of our pumpkin recipes here and please share with your friends.