Whole Wheat and Apple Pancakes Recipe (Freezer Friendly Recipe)
My hubby is here again to share with you another one of his famous recipes. Our family loves pancakes and waffles. For the life of me I cannot understand why people buy frozen waffles, I mean, they are awesome and convenient – but they are SO expensive and it is pretty easy to make frozen waffles (or in this case pancakes) yourself. When we make pancakes or waffles we use whole wheat flour and we like to add in fruit or veggies. Added fruits and or veggies are just bonus nutrition and it is REALLY yummy! In this case we used apple butter, we have also used bananas, applesauce, pumpkin, and even butternut squash. This Wheat and Apple Pancakes Recipe is actually quite easy!
Our recipes usually have evolved from us not having a mix in the house or by ‘doctoring’ a mix and eventually we just like the new creation better. I remember a time when we used to buy generic whole wheat pancake mix…. then we started adding fruit, then flaxseed, then oats – and finally we were like “Wait, we are making this pretty much from scratch anyway, we may as well just do the whole thing from scratch and save some money.” I haven’t purchased pancake mix since and the recipe has only gotten yummier!
Don’t let the ingredient list or photo scare you. This is an easy to make recipe and it freezes perfectly! This is an awesome Back To School recipe! Make a bunch on the weekend and freeze for the rest of the week. This makes a very inexpensive, but also hearty and nutritious breakfast. We have also enjoyed these pancakes as a ‘Breakfast for Dinner’ option – super yummy! You gotta try it.
- 2 Cups of quick oats- ground into flour (we use the magic bullet to grind)
- 2 Cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup of ground flax seed
- 2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon of Ground Ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 1/2 Cups of water
- 2 Cups of Apple sauce (or apple butter or pumpkin puree)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- Splash of Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup of brown sugar
- Grind or process your quick oats into flour. I use our Magic Bullet, you can also purchase oat flour. Pour into large (I mean LARGE) bowl.
- Add Wheat flour into bowl
- Add Flax seed, All Spice, Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Salt
- Stir up all dry ingredients
- Add wet ingredients.
- 4 Cups of water (save the last 1/2 cup), Apple butter or sauce, eggs, vegetable oil, and vinegar.
- Stir up. Should be thick but runny. No lumps or clumps.
- If it is too thick, add the 1/2 cup of water. Keep adding until it is smooth but thick.
- Add in brown sugar. Stir and let it rest for a few minutes.
Pour 1/3 cup of batter onto griddle. Cook like regular pancakes. When pancake is getting dry on top, flip over, cook for another 2 minutes and eat.
We drizzle organic syrup from Whole Foods Market 365 brand and call it a day! They are rich enough that they don’t even need butter in my opinion!